abnjh.490 Tapes on Unix

randy%amsaa at sri-unix.UUCP randy%amsaa at sri-unix.UUCP
Mon Mar 12 05:50:28 AEST 1984

From:      Randy Sebra (SSAO) <randy at amsaa>

     I think that a hang tape command would be extremely useful, so
long as it remains simple for the user.  The basic argument here seems
to be a perception of what UNIX systems are being used for.  There are
those out there that contend that UNIX is a reaserch and software
development tool.  Indeed, this is a widely used application for
minis and micros running UNIX.  However,  these persons have to come
to the realization that a real world exists, and UNIX is a very real
part of it -  I hardly think that a very large percentage of the some
15,000 persons who showed up for UNIFORUM recently are doing this
type of work.  This, among moves within elements of the Federal
Government to standardize on some flavor of UNIX indicates that the
most common(and due to increase) usage for UNIX-based systems is
running production jobs. In such an environment,  users SHOULD
NOT have to bother with hanging their own tapes.  In fact,
physical security factors in such an environment dictate that users
be denied physical access to tape drives period!

Randy