Help wanted with job control

Gregory R. Travis greg at isrnix.UUCP
Fri Mar 30 06:43:38 AEST 1984

   I'm trying to bring up job control on our 2.8BSD system.  I plugged in
the (buggy) code that came with 2.8 for job control (in the job.control
directory) and also had to merge some stuff from a 4.1 vax system into the
kernel.  I have the kernel compiled and it will boot - however, as soon
as I start a process under the single-user shell the system crashes.  What
seems to happen is a) The process I started finishes and calles
'exit'.  b) The shell wakes up from its sleep (in 'wait')
c) The system crashes.  The shells status is 'R' (running) - this I
get from a crash dump.  However, the system is IDLING!  The pc always
points to waitloc, although there is a process running.  So the kernel
is not dispatching the cpu to the shell that wants it.

   Has anyone brought up the job control code on a 2.8 system?  I'm tired
of waiting for 2.9.  If someone who has performed the above could let me
know what changes/deletions/additions are needed in the 4.1 job control
code/signal mechanism I'ld really appreciate it.

--
    Gregory R. Travis
    Institute for Social Research - Indiana University - Bloomington, In