Why vprintf and not %r?

Sam Kendall kendall at wjh12.UUCP
Wed Mar 28 13:25:13 AEST 1984

<>
        I believe (but am not sure) that the %r embedded format spec
        could not be implemented successfully on all computer
        architectures whereas varargs can.

That is true, if we define the operand of %r to be a char **.  But if
we define it to be a va_list (a type defined in <varargs.h>) we get
a portable interface, and upward compatibility from V7 on most
architectures.

	Sam Kendall	{allegra,ihnp4,ima,amd70}!wjh12!kendall
	Delft Consulting Corp.	    decvax!genrad!wjh12!kendall