Terminal paging in the kernel

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sun Mar 11 11:02:13 AEST 1984

Mats Wichmann observes, in part:

    .......... If there were a way to obtain this information for each
    terminal WITHOUT hardcoding it into the kernel, this portion of the
    paging dispute would go away - but I don't see any way to do that.....

"Hardcoding into the kernel"??!?!??  I wish people would assume that
the advocates of in-kernel pagination aren't completely crazy.  Our
system takes some pains to get the value of $TERM correct, and the code
that enables paging uses $TERM to find out (from termcap) the size and
whatnot of the terminal screen.  This isn't hardcoded into the kernel
any more than vi's terminal handling is!!
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology