generalized suspend wanted: "undump" program

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Fri Mar 2 14:35:40 AEST 1984

Or you can get real fancy:  Spencer Thomas wrote a little subroutine
called "unexec" which writes an executable image of the current process.
We used to use this for Emacs #85, to "preload" mlisp packages.  (Now
we have #264 so there's no need for preloading.)

Unfortunately "unexec" is not portable as it reads the u. area by using
*((struct user *)(0x80000000 - ctob(UPAGES))) [or something like that].
I guess there is an advantage to the core dump method after all...

Sigh... if only Unix could pass process trees around, you could send
a SIGSTOP to a process and log out, then come back the next day and
take it back, and give it a SIGCONT.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris.umcp-cs at CSNet-Relay