One's-complement UNIX (tm)??

Scott Barman mp at ganehd.UUCP
Mon Mar 19 11:11:38 AEST 1984

(-:#:-)

	Have you ever heard of Unix (tm) running on a one's-complement machine?
	We havn't, that's why we are trying it!

	Here at the University of Georgia, we thought that it would be an
interesting project to port V7 Unix to a one's complement machine.  Since the
beginning of the project, we have run into many interesting problems caused by
the one's complement arithmetic.  So far we have either solved these or found a
way to work around the problem, but we feel that there are going to be many more
as we continue with this endevor.

	What I would like is for anyone who has experience on a one's complement
machine, especially running Unix, who can give us any feedback in some of the
real out-of-the-ordinary problems we might encounter and a way of avoiding them.
As a guide, we are doing this on a Control Data Corp. Cyber 18/20: a 16-bit,
word addressable, one's complement computer with 256Kb of memory.

	ANY feedback is appreciated!

Scott A. Barman
UUCP:			..!akgua!ganehd!mp
USPS:			Scott A. Barman
			Department of Computer Science
			University of Georgia
			415 Boyd Graduate Studies Research Center
			Athens, Ga  30602
Ma Bell:		404-542-2911 (1:00p-6:00p Eastern Time, please)