Making /usr/spool/mail 755

Phil Ngai phil at amd70.UUCP
Mon Mar 26 17:38:56 AEST 1984

This has probably been pointed out before but I just learned it...

Ron Wessels proposes to make /usr/spool/mail 755 and keep the
lock files in there. This probably works fine under straight V7
but we run V7 with Berkeley enhancements like /usr/ucb/Mail and
it is necessary for `Mail' to write /usr/spool/mail when putting
back mail that is either unread or preserved. Therefore both
/usr/ucb/Mail and /bin/mail need to observe the same locking protocol.

The way I see it, you can either move the locks to /tmp or leave
/usr/spool/mail 777. I chose the former.
--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil