Tired of Non-Explanations

Alan S. Driscoll alan at allegra.UUCP
Tue Mar 6 01:38:53 AEST 1984

Q:  Program or library routine X has behavior Y.  Could someone
    please explain why this is desirable?

A:  Program or library routine X is supposed to have behavior Y.
    [Optional quote from manual.]  Don't change it!

Doug Gwyn pointed out to me that in most cases, the behavior is
appropriate, but it may not be clear how to explain this.  Well,
my point is that it's worth the effort.  "It was intentionally
done this way because ..." is much more satisfying than "Just
'cuz," or "The manual says so."

Besides, if you have too much trouble explaining some behavior,
it may not be as desirable as you thought.  :-)

--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories