Date in a V7 mail From line?

Lee McLoughlin lee at west44.UUCP
Mon Mar 12 09:20:34 AEST 1984

I was hoping someone could give me a  definitive  answer  to  the
following:-  What  is  the  format  of the date field in a "Bell"
standard mail header.

I'm talking about the mailer with  all  the  "From"  and  ">From"
lines.   Of late I've been getting in mail which has the timezone
in the From line which confuses some new mail software.

Our V7 mailer calls ctime to generate  a  26  (inc'  newline  and
null) char string which is the date in GMT but without a "GMT" in
the string itself.  Is it permissable to have a timezone field?
--
"The wizard of OS"	Lee McLoughlin	....!ukc!root44!west44!lee
					....!ukc!lmcl