Does VMS know more about the DMF32 than 4.2?

Larry Wall lwall at sdcrdcf.UUCP
Sat Mar 10 06:26:33 AEST 1984

Help me defend the honour of our favorite hacking, er, operating system.

Problem:

The VMS system across the room knows how to talk to its line printer through
a DMF32, but our brand new 4.2 system (750) only knows about the DMF as a
terminal interface.  Has anyone out there hacked up the DMF driver to use
the line printer part as well?

Naturally, I would enjoy hacking it up myself, but that could take a while
and the reputation of Un*x might be impugned in the meanwhile.  Please
send me any wheels you might have that don't need reinventing.  Pointers to
wheels ( (wheel *) ? ) also gratefully accepted.

Help! Cecil! Help!

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall