Help for a problem 11/44

stan%rice at sri-unix.UUCP stan%rice at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Mar 15 16:43:39 AEST 1984

From:  Stan Hanks <stan at rice>

Here at Rice we have a PDP-11/44 that is about to drive us nuts. We are
attempting to run V7 on it, but continually have a series of strange
problems that greatly impair its usefulness -- indeed a large problem
as it is the sole computational resource for the machine
architecture/assembly language programming course.

The problems vary, but basicly the machine crashes about every six
hours when run with any kind of load at all. The reason for the crash
varies. Also, it tends to randomly lose it's mind and forget about
large numbers of blocks in the free list -- worst I ever saw was once
when it "forgot" about more blocks on /tmp than the partition had to
begin with.

Anyway, we are looking for help. In particular, we are looking for a
kernel that is *KNOWN* to run on an 11/44 without floating point,
preferably with RK07 disks. We are licensed to run V6 (yek!), V7, and
2.8bsd. Any of the above would be acceptible, but I would prefer a 2.8
system over a V7 system over a V6 system (unless it's the BBN guy with
TCP/IP). We are also liscensed for 32V, 4.0bsd, and 4.1bsd, in case any
of those are needed.

Any help is greatly apprecitated. And yes, we are investigating the
possibilty it is a hardware problem. Please reply directly to me, and I
will summarize for the net if anything worthwhile pops up.

Thanks much.

				Stan Hanks
				Department of Computer Science
				Rice University
				Houston TX

				stan at rice              (arpanet)
				stan.rice at rand-relay   (broken arpa mailers)
				stan at rice              (csnet)
				...!lbl-csam!rice!stan (uucp)