Trivial File Transfer Protocol

D. Mitchell don at allegra.UUCP
Tue May 22 17:22:57 AEST 1984

Has anyone used TFTP on 4.2bsd?  Everything else works fine, but when
we started up /etc/tftpd and tried to use tftp, it just gives "Error
code 2: Access violation".

Is it worth it?  FTP gets about 60 Kbytes/sec between two of our
780's.  That isn't bad, but ftp rides on top of gigantic TCP.  It seems
wasteful to have a virtual circuit protocol under a file transfer
protocol.  tftp runs directly on IP, but of course it executes its
protocol in user mode, so I really don't know if it will be faster.