IBM 1620 10000x10000 digit multiplication

Chris Scussel trough at ihuxa.UUCP
Wed May 9 14:16:53 AEST 1984

A recent article claimed that an IBM 1620 could multiply two 10000 digit numbers
in about a second. A subsequent article claimed that all of its arithmetic was
done a digit at a time. It seems to me that this would require a clock rate
of at least 100MHz, which I find hard to believe. Comments???

	Sorry about the choice of newsgroup, but his is where the articles
appeared, and I don't think there'll be much discussion.

				Chris Scussel
				AT&T BL
				ihnp4!ihuxa!trough