Auto-logoff facility in Unix

mckeon at unm-cvax.UUCP mckeon at unm-cvax.UUCP
Sun May 6 02:55:28 AEST 1984

[chomp]

	A version of C shell we had before 4.2 allowed

set autologout=N	# N equals max idle time in minutes

	Unfortunately 4.2's C shell doesn't have this, and I don't
recall if we got the version that did off one of the 4.1 tapes,
or somewhere else.

	In an environment of heavy contention for processor ports and
dial-in lines; and of people who don't mind being logged out
(who would rather log in again than build large idle times & take up a port)
'autologout' is a winner, but in a less contentious environment
it can be a pain. Don't recall how to disable it once set, but probably
by setting the time to 0.

	The suggestion regarding password prompting sounds like an
automagic invocation of 'lock' - does protect the user, but still
consumes the port. These seem to be separate issues.