Decisions in Unix.

ado at elsie.UUCP ado at elsie.UUCP
Fri May 11 14:47:39 AEST 1984

elsie!ado--
>	A question:  how is it that we decide that logging off users after a
>	time IS the shell's business while asking for your password is not?
stolaf!lundsgra--
>	Thats a dumb question, and one that I run into a lot.
>	My answer:  Make the decision.
>	My reasons and rationale:  If you have the power to make the decision,
>	who cares what rationales you use.
>	. . .Why go to the net and ask people why or why not you should do
>	something.  Do it.

Who cares what rationales you use?  I do.  If there are good reasons behind a
decision that I can apply when making other decisions, I'm ahead of the game.
That's why I asked the dumb question--and why I was glad to see brl-vgr!gwyn's
answer.

Why go to the net and ask people why or why not you should do something?
I do it because most of the time a network reader knows more about "something"
than I do--and is willing to share the knowledge.
--
UNIX is at AT&T Bell Laboratories trademark.