how can I tell when my shared text file is in use?

M. G. Hand marcus at pyuxt.UUCP
Fri May 11 12:56:52 AEST 1984

The method i have used (successfully) in the past tackles the problem in another
way.  Firstly you arrange your source and binary so that you execute an
*installed* version: that leaves you free to remake the binary in the source
directory. Then, when it comes to installing the program you use a make line
which effectively does this series of operations:

	rm -f $(INSD)/n$(PRODUCT)
	cp $(PRODUCT) $(INSD)/n$(PRODUCT)
	cd $(INSD); mv $(PRODUCT) o$(PRODUCT); mv n$(PRODUCT) $(PRODUCT); \
		rm -f o$(PRODUCT)

I say "effectively" because i would use a command macro called, eg $(INSCMD) to
hide the dirty work.

This results in users gradually swapping over to the new version as they
re-invoke the command.

		Marcus G Hand (pyuxt!marcus)