Csh bug? (Grows forever)

P. T. Withington ptw at vaxine.UUCP
Thu May 3 22:14:31 AEST 1984

We have recently purchased a number of Venix's and noticed that their csh
seems to grow ad nauseum, eventually blowing out its (small/medium model) data
segment.  Thought this was just a bad port on Venturcom's part, but seem to
see the same effect on our Vaxen (of course the data segment there has yet
to blow out...).  Has anyone else noticed this bug/feature?  No we don't have
our history set to infinity.

Additional detail:  it almost looks like csh is just never freeing anything.
One quick way to blow out our Venix is to source a .cshrc full of aliases
a couple of times in a row.  I do recall that csh does some funny mumbo-jumbo
in place of malloc/free...

                                o.o     -ptw
                                 ~