byte alignment

Ed Nather nather at utastro.UUCP
Wed May 2 06:35:14 AEST 1984

[]

From: grt at hocda.UUCP (G.TOMASEVICH)

The description of the IBM STRETCH reminds me of the IBM 1620.  It represented
data as BCD characters (8, 4, 2, 1, flag, check bits).  Numbers had a flag
bit at one end to mark the field.  The arithmetic precision was continuously
variable up to the capacity of the memory.  I once set up memory to multiply
two 10000-digit numbers; it took about a second.
George Tomasevich, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Also of note: this machine did all its arithmetic functions by table
look-up, on character at a time.  What is 3 X 3?  Look in the table and
find "9" -- 7 + 4?  1 carry 1.  It was *neat*.

It was also called the CADET -- (For Can't Add -- Doesn't Even Try.)

--

                                       Ed Nather
                                       ihnp4!{ut-sally,kpno}!utastro!nather