IBM and Univac Unix

Scott Orshan sdo at u1100a.UUCP
Wed May 2 23:55:57 AEST 1984

[FYI - The UNIVAC name is no more - it is now called Sperry]

>	UNIVAC UNIX:  This comes from AT&T.  It's called UNIX/1100.
>It's a subsystem under OS/1100 (EXEC-8) and it's a bear.

Just a comment from a developer of The UNIX Time-sharing System
for Sperry 1100 Series Computers (its official name).

This version was thrown together three years ago.  It in no way
represents the state of the product today (as developed by
Bell Communications Research for one of the Bell Operating
Companies' internal products).  Unfortunately, today's
version is not being marketed.  The one you get from AT&T
is the same one given to them back then.  That version is
responsible for the bad reputation we have.

All I can recommend is that 1100 sites bug their Sperry Reps.
and let them know that it is important that they have a UNIX
system that works.

		Scott Orshan
		Bell Communications Research
		201-981-3064