RE m4 and "S"

Ted Nolan ted at usceast.UUCP
Tue May 15 09:44:15 AEST 1984

<$1 -expand to your favorite bug line>
We recently installed S under 4.2 here at usceast, and ran into the
same m4 problem.

Our first thought was also to put up the sysV m4, and we did.  It's really
a simple process once you track down the files it wants to see (there are
some sysV dependant includes, but they seem to be spurious). If you need
to know how we did it, mail me and I'll send the you the note I wrote myself
to remind me how it works.

However (and this is why I am posting rather than mailing)..you don't have
to do it that way!  There is (on our tape at least) an undocumented src
directory for makeing an m4 to install S.  It lives in SDIR/src/m4  assuming
that SDIR is the main directory for S.  I found it rather annoying to find
this after spending several hours ferreting out stuff the sysV m4 wanted
and installing that. You would at least think that the error message S gives
when it dies of inadequate m4 would mention it.

That's not all though.  IF you don't put the name blit in
/SDIR/src/main/stop.list, the install will die with no explanation.
Nowhere in the installation guide is this mentioned, and looking at the
nohup.out file won't help unless you diddle with the commands they are using ,
and make them verbose.  (blit is some sort of Bell labs specific terminal and
S wants to see local directories to support it)

Finally in the file SDIR/newfun/include/u/mach.m you need to look for the
string 4.2 and make the changes suggested (defining opsys BERKELEY is not
enough)

After this, the procedure in the booklet that (in our case) came with  the
tape works fine.

			Ted Nolan         ..usceast!ted