VAX 750 Upgrade

hans at log-hb.UUCP hans at log-hb.UUCP
Wed May 9 22:47:06 AEST 1984

[]
We have had the same trouble, but managed to fend the DEC-people off.
In the end we'll all need to take this particular plunge, but in that
very same end, DEC vill have ULTRIX around, and will have some sort of
solution.

One idea is to boot VMS, letting VMS load the patches, and then let VMS
boot UNIX for you. With VMS & UNIX on different disks, this would work.

Further, this particular solution requires that under UNIX the VMS-area
is hidden out of sight, by ( for instance ) shortening a file system
somewhere. Since VMS should never run in it's own right, no similar
artifact is really needed unde VMS, but covering the UNIX area with an
unaccessible file is a tested technique.

Later this year I'll definitely do just this, since I want to be able to
move UNIX around more.
--
			{decvax,philabs}!mcvax!enea!log-hb!hans
			Hans Albertsson,