Tape Drives Under 4.2

Robert Morris elvy at harvard.UUCP
Tue May 15 07:33:22 AEST 1984

.
We have been trying to get two tape drives to run under 4.2 UNIX
(both TU-78s) without much luck.  For weeks, we have been unable
to open the drive, although it is recognized at boot time.  The
DEC man swears that it is functioning properly (although the first
time he did this, it turned out not to have been initialized), but
our machines only recognize one of them.

We have two machines, a 780 and a 750, which are both connected to
the two drives.  While both machines recognize both drives at boot,
I can only open drive 0 (drive 1 is not accessible from either
machine).  The config file (both machines) contains the following lines:

master		mt0	at mba? drive ?
master		mt1	at mba? drive ?
tape		mu0	at mt0 slave 0
tape		mu1	at mt1 slave 0

Has anyone else connected two tape drives to two machines like this?
I welcome advice on how to solve this problem.

Marc Elvy	(elvy at harvard)		({ihnp4,allegra}!harvard!elvy)