question about unix & real time

God root%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Mon Nov 26 06:21:50 AEST 1984

> The original reply (whatever *that* means :-) quoted the original
> message as saying "a hesitation every few seconds", where it really said
> "an occasional hesitation for a few seconds".  there's a big difference;
> is 'occasional' something like 5 times a day?
>
>	--bsa

Oh for the love of ...:

	The first prototype (built by Emil Millet, circa 1976) ran on
	an LSI11/2 with 4KW memory running his own O/S and
	a one line LED tty and a tape cassette. It was portable
	and went out into the field to factories gathering
	pulmonary function tests from thousands of Meat Wrappers
	and B.F. Goodrich rubber workers and many other studies.

	The later one I built was based on V6 UNIX (circa 1978)
	running on 32KW and a two drive double density floppy.
	It had a DRV11-J and a real/time board/clock from ADAC.
	It swapped to the floppies! it was portable! it was before
	the Apple and its ilk and it was more sophisticated in that
	at least it could do enough time sharing to allow questionnaire
	data to be collected while real-time was happening.

	Now you sound like the world was plastered with microvaxes
	and 68000s and within that critical context you ask your
	questions...SUCH THINGS DID NOT EXIST THEN...MOST PEOPLE
	WHERE I WORKED AT HARVARD WERE STILL USING 80 COL CARDS
	ON BATCH. (were you around then?)

[Thanks, I feel better now.]

		-Barry Shein