Unix Bugs vs. VMS bugs

Mike Muuss mike at brl-tgr
Tue Nov 20 13:07:12 AEST 1984

Well, from my perspective, Berkeley (without trying to) has been
providing Standard Vendor Support (SVS) for their software
in a manner quite comparable to all other vendors, viz:

*)  Every N years ( N := {1, 2, 3} ) they come out with a new
version of the system which is much better, and only breaks a
few old programs, while delivering *substantial* new functionality.
Standard Vendor Support.

*)  You can send them bug reports (SPRs, or whatever), and
Bugs Bunny comes back and says, "Yup, that's a bug".
Standard Vendor Support.

*)  You can call them on the phone, and they make rude noises and
tell you to get lost.  Standard Vendor Support.

And, I don't fault them for it;  it's what I expect from a Research
organization.

Basicly, my feeling is that you have to be prepared to take
whatever software your vendor offers, and use it "as is",
and be content (not happy, perhaps, just content), -OR-
you have to be prepared to "roll your own", be that as
simple as adding some other vendor packages, or as
radical as cultivating one or more in-house wizards.

There are, of course, "shades of grey", nothing is ever simple.
IBM is perhaps the most responsible about giving people fixes
to things incrementally;  one IBM shop I know of used to get
a DTR (distribution tape reel) of bug fixes every few days;
you never bothered installing them unless you thought you had
a bug you thought they had fixed.  Just this level of activity
consumed 1/2 a systems person;  installing them ALL takes
about 2 full time people (so local management claimed).

There was no assurance that IBM would be fixing YOUR bug anytime
soon;  they usually moved at a majestic pace, so you could
expect quite some delay.  But that's OK, you could rest assured
they would eventually fix your problem, although it may have to
wait until the fabled Next Release.

Most IBM users are content with this level of support;  you get
used to working around the bugs, and waiting for the next release.
However, some IBM owners do cultivate local wizards, and you
would be AMAZED at some of the marvelous things they could
make those systems do!  The power of true wizardry can be astonishing.

I've picked IBM as my example above, because the computing culture tends to
revere IBM systems as over-priced, highly reliable, and exceptionally well
supported.  But somehow, tending to associate myself with systems run by
local wizards of the appropriate flavor, I have never been content with
"Standard Vendor Support".  In fact, those three words have become one of
the more repulsive slogans I can call to mind.  "Standard Vendor Support".
Feel your jaw muscles tighten?  Feel your blood pressure rising?  I do.

If you want something that's non-stock, be prepared to (a) languish,
unsatisfied, or (b) deviate from Standard Vendor Support, and break out on
your own.  Generally, the question isn't whether to break out on your own at
all, but how much, and in what direction.

		Onwards!
		  -Mike