real time

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat Nov 24 08:51:29 AEST 1984

> The last time I looked, the $15,000 LPS was 11-based.  That means that DEC is
> selling it with either RT or RSX, both of which are excellent low-overhead
> real-time operating systems.  ...

Neither one, of course, is much good as a timesharing system.  So comparing
them with Unix is silly.  Using one of them reduces to the standard solution
for doing heavy real-time work on any time-sharing system:  buy a satellite
processor to do the hard stuff.  Who cares what's running in the satellite?
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology