UNIX trademark

Cheshire Chuqui chuqui at nsc.UUCP
Wed Nov 21 02:37:03 AEST 1984

In article <5896 at brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>> 	'The trademark UNIX may not be used as a noun, but must always
>> 	be used as an adjective modifying a common noun as in "UNIX
>> 	operating system"'
>
>Does anyone know why the lawyers decided this?

The way the trademark laws are written, you can't trademark an object, you
have to trademark a qualified. So, Unix as a noun is not something you can
trademark, but the 'Unix Operating System' is, because Unix is what makes
that operating system (a generic term) unique. Doesn't really make sense,
but that is the way it is.

* Unix is a trademark of AT&T, or one of their subsidiaries, last I heard.
* Plaid Warlock is a trademark of Chuqui, or one of their subsidiaries.

--
>From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui at decwrl.ARPA

  This plane is equipped with 4 emergency exits, at the front and back of
  the plane and two above the wings. Please note that the plane will be
  travelling at an average altitude of 31,000 feet, so any use of these
  exits in an emergency situation will most likely be futile.