deceptive mail

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Mon Nov 19 02:17:14 AEST 1984

+----------------
| > It is even worse: if you are working at a terminal, somebody comes along
| > and in order to show you something logs in recursively: (login x)
| > then after his login process has finished your identity will be reported
| > as x by programs like who and routines like getlogin().
|
| Say What!
|
| If someone comes up to your terminal and types "login name" you
| will be logged out and he will be logged in. If his login process
| "finishes" i.e. he logs out, the system will display a login
| banner. YOU WILL BE GONE! I'd say whoever did this when you were
| at a terminal walked away without logging off. Are you confusing
| login with su???

Nope.  Typing

% login me

logs out the current user.  What the original message said was:

% (login me)

which forces login to run in a subshell.  I often pull that trick with
newgrp, we lacking sg.

--bsa
--
  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa