Problems with restore (4.2BSD)

tgr at brl-tgr.UUCP tgr at brl-tgr.UUCP
Fri Nov 30 04:30:49 AEST 1984

Reguarding the second of your problems (the resynch message from
restore), it has been my experience that that is the result of tape
parity errors resulting from either bad tape or tape drive problems.
With very many of these errors you backup is not of much value. It is
also my experience that dump is silent about this type of error.
Having been bitten once, we now occasionally check our level 0 backups
by trying to restore a file or two, just to make sure that the backup
really is! ( a backup, that is).

	Bill [johnston at lbl-csam]