question about unix & real time

boyle at ANL-MCS.ARPA boyle at ANL-MCS.ARPA
Sat Nov 17 03:17:16 AEST 1984

In regard to:

    >I concur. I built a real-time portable pulmonary testing lab
    >running on an LSI-11/2 off of only RX02s (with swapping etc).
    >One person would be filling in questionairres while another
    >would be getting a lung test (A/D, ~20KHZ, 14bit.) It worked
    >fine, an occasional hesitation for a few seconds (but with an
    >RX02 as a swap device whoddyaexpect?

    "An occasional hesitation every few seconds?"  That's not what I call
    real-time.

I may be naive, but I assumed when Barry Schein at Boston University
said that there was an occasional hesitation, he meant in the
(non-realtime) filling-out-the-questionnaire part of the application
rathern than in the real-time lung-test-data-gathering part.