Unix Bugs vs. VMS bugs

Dave Cohrs dave at uwvax.UUCP
Tue Nov 20 06:22:59 AEST 1984

> >     In fact, with the amount of time we spend down because the system
> >crashed due to some flakey UNIX bug,  I wonder how we get any work done at
> >all.
  .
  .
  .
>                     I don't know what version of Unix you're running,
> but I find our 4.2bsd (with many bugs fixed, admittedly), one of the
> most stable operating systems I have ever used.  I have seen the machine
> up continuously for 3 months (and then they do PM, so it gets taken
> down).
>
> =Spencer

I also think that 4.2 is a stable system.  One of our instructional systems
has been down twice in the past month -- once for PMs and once again because
a couple systems hacks here decided to play with it after system saves this
weekend and accidently killed it (superusers can be such kids at times).  The
average load on this machine over the past month is 5++ with a peak of 50.
Where is the flacky software?
--
(Bug?  What bug?  That's a feature!)

Dave Cohrs
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!dave
dave at wisc-rsch.arpa