uucp over X.25

Piet Beertema piet at mcvax.UUCP
Mon Nov 26 23:24:19 AEST 1984

<...>

The last few weeks I've seen lots of questions about running uucp over
X.25 networks and over local networks/devices using XON/XOFF flow control.
Quite some time ago I wrote a protocol for uucp meant especially for running
over X.25/PAD links. Since it relies on XON/XOFF flow control, I expect it to
run very well too over the mentioned XON/XOFF networks.
This protocol is running very satisfactorily now on all our European X.25
links and on our transatlantic X.25 link to seismo. Now there may be other
packages that are in some respects better than uucp, but I don't know of any
that can compete with uucp with the f-proto regarding cost-effectiveness,
since the f-proto essentially uses a continuous datastream. To give an example:
a transatlantic X.25 link with the f-proto runs more than 70% cheaper than a
transatlantic phone link (with the g-proto)!

I have posted the source some time ago, but that may well have got lost on
some sites. Therefore I'll post the source again to net.sources. Installation
is quite straightforward; just note that it the routine names in the proto
switch table (cntrl.c) should be added in *before* the g-proto.
Warning: if you are to call sites over phone links that run the f-proto too,
you should hack the uucp sources a bit to prevent selection of this proto
on phone links!
--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet