uucp through flow-controlled (XON/XO

hamilton at uiucuxc.UUCP hamilton at uiucuxc.UUCP
Thu Nov 22 16:59:00 AEST 1984

> Question: Should uucp be able to function over a flow-controlled
> 	network that uses XON/XOFF as flow control.

>>One simple fix (well, kludge) is to add a simple byte-stuffing layer
>>underneath the packet driver, which takes any XONs, XOFFs, and other
>>objectionable characters (some I/O packages won't transmit NUL, for
>>example) and encode them as a unique sequence of two characters
>>before transmission, performing the reverse transformation at the other
>>end.  This allows the use of flow control, and slows things down only a
>>little since only a few bytes get expanded.  More CPU overhead, though.

i have a similar problem with multiplexors.  even worse, mine eat the
parity bit, so i only get a 7-bit channel.  i have implemented the
byte-stuffing kludge for my machines (turns out to be almost trivial).
if you're interested, send me mail.  if i get enough requests, i'll
just post it to net.sources.
	wayne ({decvax,ucbvax}!pur-ee!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!)hamilton