laser printers to replace impact printers

tgr at brl-tgr.UUCP tgr at brl-tgr.UUCP
Fri Nov 30 05:23:17 AEST 1984

We are considering replacing all of our central facility impact printers
(~900 line/min CDC and IBM printers) with a collection of 25-40 page/minute
laser printers.
We currently have several small Cannon based (Imagen and QMS) laser printers and
would like to stay at 300 dpi, but would consider 240dpi if we have to,
and if the print quality is good.
We would also like controllers which can do full page bit maps so that
graphics is possible.

I have several questions:

1) I am aware of two laser printers which might fill the bill, namely
   the QMS-2400 and a Holoscan 24 page/min device. Are there any
   others that we should look at. (We don't like the output quality
   of the Imagen Delfax device.)

2) Does anyone have experience with such devices in this application
   (high volume, central facility printer).

	Thanks, Bill [johnston at lbl-csam]
		415/486-5014