Unix bugs vs. VMS bugs

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at grendel.UUCP
Fri Nov 23 09:24:06 AEST 1984

> Gould meets all of the criteria you set with the exception that if you
> by their system today you get 4.1c.  4.2 will be available after the new
> year.  We've ordered their computers primarily since their performance beats
> the hell out of anything DEC offers and the price is lower.
>Sorry, but the Gould PN9000 is about 10 times a 780 for about $400K.
>Certainly beats the DEC entry.
>
>-Ron

Now, do you believe that stuff?  I didn't say it wasn't true...  I asked if
you believed it!  I won't, aside from that, comment on Ron's observation as
it pains me to do so.   (By the way, Ultrix-32 is 4.2BSD based...)

But yes, such support is available through the companies mentioned (and
others I am sure).  Ultrix-32, for example, is a *supported* Digital S/W
product.  That means manuals, training, bug fixes, newsletters, updates, an
800 number hot line for customer help (already in use), a large group of
UNIX experts, and software services (driver writing, for example).  I know
something about this as I work in a group which provides such services.

But that's what's neat about UNIX (oh I mean the UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM
(tm).  Go ahead and use Ultrix as a noun for now... :-) ) -- it is an
operating system which can be held together by one or two so-called gurus.
And, as I would guess most of us have seen, a system which stays up for
long periods of times w/o problems.  But, if you want to pay to have
someone else do these things (including updates, fixes, etc.) there are
people who handle such things.

Fred
--
Fred Avolio, DEC -- U{LTR,N}IX Support