can't restart rlogin daemon after single user

Mark Callow msc at qubix.UUCP
Fri Nov 9 11:46:03 AEST 1984

Every week we take our 11/750 running 4.2BSD down to single-user for
backups.  Almost every week the rlogin daemon refuses to run upon
return to multi-user operations.  After recompiling with -DDEBUG
to persuade it to print some error messages, rlogind says

	"bind: address already in use"

Obviously the previous rlogind didn't die cleanly when the system went
to single-user.

[Minor Flame]
Why does rlogind swallow all error messages.  I'd certainly like to get
messages when it has problems.  It doesn't even print anything on the
console or via syslog.  Is this a "feature" or a bug??
[Extinguish]

Does anyone know why rlogind didn't die cleanly?  The backups are done
early in the morning and as afar as I know there are no active rlogin
connections at the time we go to single-user.  However there are
undoubtedly some in state FIN_WAIT_2 due to the infamous bug.

We have no problems with any of the other network daemons.

What I can do about it? I'd like to get rid of the problem, but I'd settle
for a means of getting rlogind back to life without rebooting the system.
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at qubix.UUCP,  qubix!msc at decwrl.ARPA
...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!qubix!msc, ...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!qubix!msc