Memory limit on 4.1

William P. Malloy malloy at ittral.UUCP
Sun Nov 4 04:43:04 AEST 1984

A simple question on memory limits under 4.1bsd.  We recently decided to
upgrade from 4 to 8 Meg.  (16K chips, 256K boards, MS-780C controllers,
running interleaved).  However when 4.1 boots and finds the whole 8 Meg
successfully we get the following message

panic: sys pt to small

By pulling one board out of each card cage, we've been able to get the system
up.  This problem must have been known, because several people have said they've
HEARD rumors to that affect, but none of them seem to know for sure.  As a side
note, I brought up 4.2 no problem.  Any one have any ideas?  Or even a good
guess?

Oh yeah, I know, I know, we ought to be running 4.2.  Heck we even run 2.9 news
so there.  *** REAL SOON NOW *** we'll go to 4.2, news 2.10.2 and all sorts of
nice things as soon as we fix a few things broken under 4.2 (like the fact that
our modems don't work).  It will be nice to be able to use our 3 new Eagles.
--
Address: William P. Malloy, ITT Telecom, B & CC Engineering Group, Raleigh NC
	 {ihnp4!mcnc, burl, ncsu, decvax!ittvax}!ittral!malloy