Pyramid Experience, anyone?

mike at BRL-TGR.ARPA mike at BRL-TGR.ARPA
Thu Sep 6 07:43:28 AEST 1984

From:      Mike Muuss <mike at BRL-TGR.ARPA>

Pyramids are nifty machines, and well worth considering.
However, you should also consider the Gould PowerNode
machines (PN 60xx, PN 90xx -- formerly the Concept32/67 and 32/97).
Both Pyramid and Gould offer comparable price/performance,
and both offer 4.2 BSD, TCP/IP over ethernet, etc.

Depending on your configuraiton and applications, one may be a better
choice for you than the other.  Price advantage will flip-flop back
and forth depending on configuration.  Either machine is worth owning.
One of the most attractive features of the Gould machines is
factory supported Dual-CPU upgrades (George Goble [Purdue] style).
It's really nice being able to double the compute power for a
modest extra cost.  Also appealing is the broad spectrum of equipment
offered by Gould;  it's really nice to be able to replace your 3 MIP
machine with a 10 MIP machine and keep all the peripherals, memory,
disk controllers, etc!

In a subsequent letter, I'll post our benchmark results between the
VAX and the Gould.

Best,
 -Mike Muuss

(301)-278-6678
  AV  283-6678
  FTS 939-6678

ArpaNet:  Mike @ BRL
UUCP:     ...!{decvax,cbosgd}!brl-bmd!mike
Postal:
  Mike Muuss
  Leader, Advanced Computer Systems Team
  Computer Techniques and Analysis Branch
  Systems Engineering and Concepts Analysis Division
  U.S. Army Ballistic Research Laboratory
  Attn: AMXBR-SECAD (Muuss)
  APG, MD  21005