eagle

kermit at BRL-VGR.ARPA kermit at BRL-VGR.ARPA
Tue Sep 25 12:57:08 AEST 1984

From:      Chuck Kennedy <kermit at BRL-VGR.ARPA>

Probably the greatest positive aspect of changing your controller
from the Unibus to a CMI adapter is the decreased load on your Unibus
If all you have on the Unibus is a few terminal multiplexors (DHs or what
have you), it might not be worth it.  On the other hand, if you have
some heavy duty I/O hogs on the Unibus (such as some graphics devices
like Ikonases or Megateks), it might be worthwhile to consider changing
over to the CMI interface.

Also, just to provide a counterpoint to Phil Ngai's comments about the
9900 controllers, we've had very good luck with them here.  In fact,
just a few months back I unpacked a couple of 9900 controllers and two
Eagles, plugged them in and they ran and are still running just great!
We have many older 9400 controllers as well.  Our experience with the
9400 CMI adapters has been excellent.  We have four CMI adapters on
our two 750s and they've run for two years now with no problembs after
a one day installation job.

I guess it just goes to show you can get good and bad opinions about
almost anything (just ask our maintenance guys about Emulex).

	-Chuck Kennedy
	U.S. Army Ballistic Research Lab
	Arpanet: Kermit @ BRL
	UUCP: ...!{decvax,cbosgd}!brl-bmd!kermit