Fast Filesystem defaults

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sun Aug 11 07:40:42 AEST 1985

> If newfs were as ``friendly'' as the manual page claims,
>it would calculate all this junk from the average file size.

One question: where is it going to *get* the average file size?
(Specifying it with an option makes it essentially the same as -i.)

In general, one inode per 2K is way too much (try one per 4K for
a default), but you are a *lot* better off with too many inodes
than too few.  And (believe it or not) I managed to run out at
one/2K---I put /usr/spool/news on its own RK07 over at eneevax,
and it ran out of inodes.  I remade the file system with one inode
per 1K data....
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland