what's wrong with microVax II?

Steve Dyer sdyer at bbncc5.UUCP
Sat Aug 24 02:44:22 AEST 1985

> I don't know if this is related, but I heard today that the
> latest release of Ultrix-32 (with DECnet support) has totally
> broken TCP/IP.  This is second-hand info, so if it matters to
> you, check for yourself.  Maybe someone from DEC could comment.

Here at BBN, we actually returned a LH/DH-11 to ACC on the belief
that it was broken--this was a new machine supporting an 1822 Arpanet
interface and running Ultrix 1.1 (1.1 being needed because of DMZ-32
hardware on this machine.)   Naturally, we foolishly didn't suspect
the software--I mean, DEC doesn't even officially support the non-DEC
peripherals, so one wouldn't expect the IMP software to change.
Ultrix 1.0 (sans DECnet) works fine.

Turns out that the changes needed for DECnet did indeed "break" 1822
support (and maybe other devices--I haven't tried anything but DEUNA and
1822)--TCP/IP over the DEUNA works fine.  We spoke to Ultrix engineering,
and volunteered to help them fix this problem, since we knew that if we
wanted our machines up and running quickly, this would be the only way to
ensure that, since DEC does not have an Arpanet-style connection to any of
its engineering VAXes.  We have both running now, under a quick-and-dirty
fix, and should have a DECnet-compatible fix which can be tested at DEC in
a few more days.  I can't comment on when it will be available from DEC.

I might mention that DEC has been extremely responsive to this problem--
we've had the pleasure to speak with people who really know their stuff.  I
think their Ultrix software support system and the communication between
support and engineering has improved by several orders of magnitude from
our earlier experiences of a year ago, to the extent that I am quite
happy to recommend their support service.
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer