instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases (absurdly long)

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Fri Aug 2 15:35:09 AEST 1985

> In article <133 at maynard.UUCP> campbell at maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
> >Hostile users aren't the only good reason to have quotas.  What about
> >buggy software that gets into an infinite loop writing to a file?
>
> That's what "ulimit" is for.  Don't use an SST when roller skates will do.

*ONLY* if the default "ulimit" is infinity, not the dumb 1MB that comes with
S3/S5 out of the box from AT&T.  Put a "ulimit" on programs you want to
debug (note that an almost-identical facility, except for a signal SIGXFSZ
which is delivered to the errant program, exists in 4.xBSD).  DON'T penalize
database systems which want to maintain big databases (and don't force me to
run those systems as root just to boost their "ulimit"), or other programs
which, for whatever reason, need files bigger than 1MB.

	Guy Harris