cat -v and ls -C considered harmful

Peter da Silva peter at baylor.UUCP
Tue Aug 13 01:23:40 AEST 1985

> Why "cat -v" may be bad, even though the functionality it provides is good:
>
> 	Why not have a command called "vis" (as I believe P of K&P
> 	has suggested) which does the job of "cat -v"?  Nobody's

On our system it's called "type". The only sensible option I can think
of for cat is "-u" for "unbuffered". Why do you think "~%take" in cu
generates a "tee /dev/null" command on the remote system? Sometimes an
unbuffered file copy is useful.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter