Accusing Bell of NIH (formerly Re: useless digest reference)

Rich A. Hammond hammond at petrus.UUCP
Mon Aug 19 23:23:59 AEST 1985

>	Stanley Friesen writes in reference to ioctl (Sys V vs BSD):
> ... The
> only really simple improvement was the OPOST idea, which Berkeley has
> implimented as LLITOUT! Maybe I should get the ioctl system I designed
> few years ago and post an outline of it to the net!(It is of course
> unimplemented).
> 	Gee, what a choice, the inflxibility of V7 ioctl or the
> overweaning complexity of Sys3/5 ioctl! Someone *please* implement
> a rational system.

Well, at least on my BSD system LLITOUT doesn't work properly, it
takes more than one ioctl to get its effects propagated through the driver.
On the other hand, the last Sys V I used, OPOST worked fine, and with KMC's
the output speed was pretty nice.

Besides, the man pages for my 4.2 BSD tty(4) are 9.5, for Sys V termio(7)
they are only 7.  I don't find Sys V more complex, but tastes differ.
Rich Hammond