HELP!! SVr2 grow filesystem panic!!

Alan Fargusson alan at drivax.UUCP
Fri Aug 30 06:18:43 AEST 1985

> My news filesystem is running out of space, so I decided to move it
> and double its size.

 .
 .
 .

> 1) If I run dcopy in single-user mode, will that override the per-process
> size limit of 2 meg and allow it to get more memory?
>
> 2) If I use the '-d' switch on dcopy (leaves subdirectories where they
> are rather than moving them to the front of their parents), does anyone
> think there is a snowball's chance that it will go ahead and finish
> correctly?
>
> 3) It doesn't matter what I do, because the computer is out to get me.
> If that is so, and it was cocky enough to send out this request for help
> anyway (you are reading this, aren't you?) then I'm in BIG TROUBLE.
>
> Thanks very much in advance for any light you may shed on this,

You might try tar(1), however you will have to fix it. If you have source
that is. As in the example in the manual type:

	cd fromdir; tar cf - . | ( cd todir; tar xf - )

The problem with this is that when tar tries to make a directory in todir
it execs mkdir(1), then waits for ALL of its children to complete. But in
the bourne shell the first tar is a child of the second tar, so it can hang
forever. All you have to do is fix tar(1) so it only waits for the process
that it forked.

System V, a standard to live down to. :-)
--

Alan Fargusson.

{ ihnp4, amdahl, mot }!drivax!alan