Fast Filesystem defaults

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon Aug 12 10:32:50 AEST 1985

>On rp07s, it's quite easy to run out of i-nodes; there are *many* blocks per
>cylinder group, and 2K i-nodes just doesn't make it.  We have to override
>the cylinder group size on our rp07s just to get enough i-nodes.

I don't quite understand....  From man 8 newfs:

	.B \-i number of bytes per inode
	This specifies the density of inodes in the file system.
	The default is to create an inode for each 2048 bytes of data space.
	If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used;
	to create more inodes a smaller number should be given.

If you have one inode per 2K of data space, then it doesn't matter
how many blocks/cyl-group; more blocks just means more inodes.  So
how does having rp07s make any difference?
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland