Help! `ps' is going flakey on me!

jack at boring.UUCP jack at boring.UUCP
Tue Aug 6 04:59:28 AEST 1985

In article <1056 at trwatf.UUCP> root at trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:

>`ps' is giving me messages like "no room in text table" and "ps: error
>reading ecmx from /dev/kmem"  and "error reading namelist." In single
>user mode it simply prints the banner for `ps' like so...
>
>"PID TT STAT  TIME COMMAND"

You should have specified the system you used. On a V7 system,
this usually means that /unix is not the kernel you're running
at the moment, so 'ps' tries to read things from a running kernel
using an incorrect namelist.

Fix: move /unix to /oldunix, and your running kernel to /unix.
--
	Jack Jansen, jack at mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.