Ulimits strikes again (SYSV)

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Sat Aug 31 07:46:43 AEST 1985

> >ulimit strikes again.  The default ulimit should be OFF (perhaps -1
> >should mean this); the site manager can set a ulimit in /etc/profile
> >according to site needs.  I hope somebody FIXES this nuisance.
>
> Nope, I think you lose again. Unless I am mistaken (we just went thru
> this on our site) /etc/profile runs non-priv'd so it can't up your
> ulimit, just lower it.

I think we're having a communication snafu.  IF the default ulimit is made
INFINITE, THEN the site manager can set a finite ulimit in /etc/profile,
since as you point out a non-privileged user can always REDUCE his ulimit.

I want >>> AT&T <<< to CHANGE THE DEFAULT ulimit to be INFINITE instead
of the current value of 1Mb or whatever.  Is that clearer?