A question for all you UN*X experts

Vincent P. Broman broman at noscvax.UUCP
Wed Aug 28 01:37:42 AEST 1985

> We have a question that maybe you can answer.  Does anyone out there know
> of any utilities that use the information in /etc/group?  We keep our file
> up to date, but have never noticed any system uses for this file.

just the obvious one-- it determines your group access permissions. On
4.2BSD at least, this is done by a call to initgroups(3X) in login.c .

Vincent Broman			MILNET: broman at nosc
Analysis Branch, code 632	UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,dcdwest,ucbvax}!
Naval Ocean Systems Center			sdcsvax!noscvax!broman
San Diego, CA  92152		MaBellNet: (619) 225-2365