instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases (absurdly long)

Ron Heiby heiby at cuae2.UUCP
Tue Aug 6 05:33:57 AEST 1985

I guess that's what I deserve for following up to an article
cross-posted with net.unix-wizards (trash dump).  Really, I'm very
sorry that I started a religious battle (or two or three) on V7 vs.
4BSD vs. SysV vs. .....  P-leeeeease read what I say and assume that
I mean it if I don't use a smiley face.

I made a remark about the different orientation of a research /
teaching organization vs. a commercial computer vendor and suddenly
I was accused of bad-mouthing products that had adapted software
developed by the research / teaching organization.  I made a remark
that ulimit could be used in direct response to someone who asked
about how to control / test "buggy software".  I did NOT recommend
that a small ulimit be used for database applications, nor did I
recommend that it be a low value by default in all cases, nor did I
suggest that it was a panacea that eliminated the need for other
disk usage tracking and control tools.  Good grief!

Can we drop all this now and get on to something worthwhile?  Or
maybe we can at least leave the religious debates in
net.unix-wizards and obviate the need for a mod.micro.att.
--
Ron Heiby	heiby at cuae2.UUCP	(via ihnp4)
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109