Unix already has "attributes"...

robert thau thau at h-sc1.UUCP
Wed Aug 21 11:10:38 AEST 1985

> Yeh, executability should perhaps be handled by a magic number. Of course this
> would break shell scripts, but that's been done before. Of course it IS easier
> to type 'chmod +x file' than to reconstruct the header...
> --
> 	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)

One thing to keep in mind:  execute-only privilege.  The only real reason for
it that I can think of is spoiler-hiding for adventure games, but it seems that
*somebody* wants it.  (Opinion:  any security scheme which depends critically
on withholding the code that implements it has failed before it starts).
--
Robert Thau			        \
Keeper of the *FLAME*			))